Half Day Perisaian (Nature)
Traditional Village of Karang Bajo – Ancient Mosque – Art Shop – Perisien
Right after you arrive at Karang Bajo (traditional village), your guide will take you to go around the villager’s houses in that particular village, and he will explain about the activity, habit and the way of life of the people in traditional village of Karang Bajo. Traditional village of Karang Bajo consists of the Traditional Residence of customary officials or the stakeholders, they are Amak Lokak Gantungan Rombong, Amak Lokak Pande, Kyai Lebe, Singgan Dalem and Amak
Lokak Penguban. After taking a round at the traditional village, we will continue our journey to the Ancient Mosque of Bayan (20 meters away from the traditional village) in 20 minutes tour complete with the explanation about the history and the structure of the building of the ancient mosque, then we will enjoy the view of nature in the form of traditional fields. Ancient Mosque which is now used for ceremonial purpose for traditional ritual and as one of the evidences of history of Islam invasion in Lombok. Around the Ancient Mosque, there are some graveyards of the ancient figures such as the graveyard of Desanyar, Sesait, Reak and Titi Mas Penghulu.
After that we will continue our journey to Art Shop of woven cloth of Bayan Traditional Villagers. In this place you will be able to see the process of Bayan woven cloth making and about the function and history of the weaving process. We can also buy the handicrafts of Bayan Traditional Villagers as souvenir. It needs 3 hours for us to visit the traditional residence, cultural sites and art shop. Then we will go back to the traditional village in which the top event of this trip which is watching Perisean art performance. Perisean is one of tradition of agility contest between two men using rattan as bats and animal leather for shields. The contest is accompanied with the performance using traditional music instruments in order to make the contest more exciting. Perisean is played by professional from Lombok Island.
Presean fight is known as agility and manhood symbolism for the young men and Sasak men in Lombok. The Perisean fight is done by two men who hit each other using bats made of rattan called as penjalin by Sasak tribe. They are armed with shields made of cow’s or buffalo’s thick and hard skin called ENDE of which the shape is similar to one owned by Captain America. The player is called as pepadu. Sometimes, pepadu has their own nicknames as the appreciation of their achievement. The game led by one referee who is called as pekembar. There is also a game led by side referee who observe the fight who is called as pekembar sedi.
Both players or pepadu met in the middle of the ring, shirtless, wearing a headband called as sapuk (as the identity of Sasak tribe) and also particular sarung as the identity of each pepadu group. A stick made of rattan which length is approximately 1 m (penjalin) used as a bat is hold in the right hand, and the shield on the left. By this, the players or pepadu are ready to fight, watched by the spectators.
Supporting Art of Peresan Fight
Presean is accompanied with traditional musical instruments played by at least 6 persons comprised of two gendang, one petuk, one set of rencek, one gong and one seluring. The types of music (gending) played in the arena are:
- Ngalokang music/gending (to stimulate the player’s energy) which is played when the jury or pekembar is looking for a player or challenger from the spectators seat who is willingly have a battle in the arena.
- Mayuang Gending (Ready Music) refers to a music played as a sign that the pepadus are ready to fight. At this moment, pekembar gives a signal to the spectators to cheer as a support for the players.
- Fighting gending (fighting music) refers to a music played to cheer, to support and to increase the emotional atmosphere during the fight along with the screams from the spectators to support each pepadu. Each pepadu, within the fight, shall dance as the form of tease the rival.
Some essential factors above, whether it is the clothes, music (gending) and also the supporting art, is a form of distinction that agility and manhood contest art called peresean is not a street fight. Instead it is one of the cultural value and art that has a deep meaning and contain a cultural issue inherited from the ancient figures of Sasak tribe.
Places of Interest will be visit during Lombok
Perisaian Tour Itinerary :
- 12.00 – visit & lunch in Traditional karang bajo
- 13.00 – visit to traditional Mosque & Art Shop
- 14.00 – perisaian
- 16.00 – Back to hotel
- 17.00 – Arrive at hotel
Regular Tours Price :
- $400 USD (min 2 person max 4)
- Inclusion : Car + English Speaking guide + porter + Entrance Fee + mineral water + lunch + softdrinks (coca-cola, panta or sprite)
- Bonus sunset in beach
- Minimum booking 2 persons.
- Tour duration between 8-10 hours
- Get special price for group booking
- The tour is Private Tours, means there is no other participant, just only you and your companion
Tour Guide can be requested, contact us if you want to request Tour Guide during the trip Time and Tourism site is subject to change based on your request